Pages

Friday, September 28, 2012

A Classic visit


Edit: I decided to give it to him now, so he can make better use of it for school, as opposed to waiting for December when the year is half over.




Explaining it all to Patrick. He had a baseball game soon after this, in case you were wondering.


Off to the races. When not typing school papers or his upcoming novel about the zombie apocalypse (where Mad Cow disease turns into Mad Human disease...), he generally just writes about how great he is, or curse words. Lots of curse words...


I'm pretty sure I am going to have to have a chat with him about proper carriage return techniques.


Surveying his literary masterpiece.


Displaying my typing prowess for all eyes to see.


Adele joins our mini type-in.


I don't know how she types at all with those damned fingernails...


"They look like students in a classroom!"-- Ma (my mother).


My parent's Basset, Fred, giving the Classic 12 a go.


And here she is (yes, Fred is a female) chasing the treat Ma placed on the top of the typewriter, after she knocked it into the type basket with her over-eager nose.

6 comments:

  1. GREAT POST, Ken! A real family affair. Nice to see your siblings typing away!

    Patrick is obviously thrilled with his Classic 12. (They are excellent typewriters; Mike Clemens sold me one last year, I had intended to give it to a neighbor kid but his parents wouldn't let him have it...so I've still got it and enjoy it a lot.)

    That Continental Silenta is truly a MONUMENTAL typewriter in every respect. Its hulking profile is formidable; almost scary. I enjoyed seeing all the angled shots of it in this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really cool, Ken. You actually have enough typewriters to give to several generations down the line.

    "Silenta" for such a beast, what irony!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Classic 12's and Galaxie-class units are great gifts to starting enthusiasts. Solid machines with a cool look to them.
    That Silenta looks like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet! It is nice to see the family typing together. My girls have their pick between machines and typefaces, but they prefer handwriting our inter-household correspondence. The blue SM-7 is an exception.

    The Silenta is gorgeous! I wouldn't jam on the link to the Third Reich, but the mechanism must be amazing. A standard noiseless is in my future simply because I am up later than the rest of the family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Cameron- He really did seem to enjoy it! Before I told him it was his, he hit ONE key and said "Man, this types a lot nicer than the one I have". Made me feel really good. Did you happen to use that Classic 12 to be the very first person in the Typewriter Brigade to finish their novel? What irony! Also, the Silenta looks so massive now that I look to the pictures. Man...the thing is heavy, but I never perceived it to be that big before this!

    @Ton- It really is rather quiet! Then again, all of my biggest machines seem to be quiet. Even the SG1, when placed on my little typewriter mats, is low in volume.

    @Peter- I never even gave it a chance before last weekend...it just sat in a case, as I did not have room to display it. Once I began typing on it, I literally exclaimed "Holy shit!" A great machine, and I know he will put it to good use. Patrick is already talking about converting Connor's old bedroom into his own 'Typewriter Room'...even though he only has two. Ha!

    @Dwayne- A blue SM7 would definitely be the pick of the litter. They are fantastic machines, and the blue they come in, though I haven't yet seen one in person, looks beautiful. The Silenta is a great typewriter, SS or no. It is a bit different than the Remington Noiseless; a simplified mechanism. I have yet to use a Rem Noiseless standard, but the Silenta is rather quiet. Of course, there is still noise!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A typing family! It is great that you can share your typewriters with your family and they have an interest and actually sit and use them. It is even more special that you care about your brother and are kind enough to give him a typewriter. The Classic-12 is a fine full featured machine of quite good quality. I have 2 of of them. One of the features I really like is the removable platen. SCM made different platens for these depending on what typing was require, and they had 2 changeable type keys. I use the Greek set for electronics and math.

    ReplyDelete